We love our dogs – they are like members of our family – and we do everything we can to care for them to the best of our ability. We would never do anything to harm them if we could avoid it. We spend exorbitant amounts on the best pet foods and carefully examine their ingredient label to be sure that they receive the right amount of protein. We buy vitamins to keep them healthy. Unfortunately, we run up against one major pitfall when it comes to feeding them properly – that pathetic puppy eye stare!
There are many human foods that are dangerous foods for dogs, and we simply don’t realize it! When your puppy gives you that sad-eyed, “I’m so hungry and that looks so good” look when you are munching on popcorn or a candy bar, who can resist?
Before you give in to the urge to share, consider what you might really be doing for your dog’s health! That little piece of chocolate may make him happy for a few minutes – but chocolate is a harmful food to dogs. The caffeine in the chocolate can cause caffeine poisoning, and there is not an antidote. Eating even a small amount can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and can even cause abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, bleeding and death.
Even when the candy is not chocolate, sugar causes the same problems in dogs that it does in humans – dental issues, obesity, and even in some cases diabetes.
You say that you are eating sugar-free candy, and it isn’t chocolate, so it shouldn’t be a problem? The Xylitol used in some of these can cause a drop in the dog’s blood sugar, as well as vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination. It is best to leave the candy and other sweets for human consumption, and instead provide your dog with a suitable treat designed just for him.
When you are preparing dinner, does your dog stand at your feet waiting for a few little treats, like a piece of raw fish or meat when you are cutting it? These are another example of dangerous foods for dogs. It seems only natural to toss a trimming to hi, and after all, aren’t dogs supposed to eat raw meat? Actually, raw meat and fish often contain bacteria which can lead to food poisoning in pets as well as humans. These bacteria can cause vomiting, fever, and swollen lymph nodes, and lead to death. Cooking the meat before presenting it to your dog can kill these parasites. In the same way that we trim the fat from our own meat, it should be trimmed from the dogs as well. Whether it is fed to him raw or cooked, it can cause pancreatitis.
Also remember that the chemicals you use on your home and even on your dog may be unsafe. Check what is in your chemical flea treatments and consider if it is a good idea or not. The skin absorbs things almost the same as eating does so if you wouldn’t eat it don’t put it on yours or your dogs skin. Another important thing to remember is that if you use bleach or harsh chemicals to clean the floor make sure your dog doesn’t lick anything off of it. Read more here:
Fruits are great and healthy for humans, so why not for dogs? Some fruits can safely be given to your dog as a treat – slices of apples, oranges, bananas, and watermelon are tasty and won’t harm your dog. Others should never be fed to him. An Avocado contains persin, which can be toxic in dogs. Not only the fruit itself but also the plants can be harmful. Persimmons, peaches and plums are also on the “to avoid” list. The pits contain cyanide – poisonous to dogs as well as humans. A human will avoid the pit – the dog doesn’t know any better and will munch away. Grapes and raisins should also be avoided, even in small amounts, as they can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Onions and garlic are other human foods which is considered one of the dangerous foods for dogs. Too much can cause poisoning and/or anaemia, and since the issue of “how much is too much” can be hard to judge, it is best to simply avoid the issue. Weakness, vomiting, showing little interest in food, and breathlessness can all arise as symptoms.
Common salt is another thing to avoid. Those potato chips or pretzels that they beg for can result in excessive thirst and urination. An excess of salt can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, depression, tremors, and seizures, and can even result in cause of death.
When you love your dog, you want him to be happy and healthy. Even though a quick snack may seem like a good idea, you want to be certain that what you are giving him the proper type of treats, and not dangerous foods for dogs!
Read more here http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-dogs